- Called to the Ontario Bar (1988)
- Called to the New York Bar (1987)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1987)
- B.C.L., McGill University (1986)
- LL.B., McGill University (1986)
- B.B.A., École des Hautes Études Commerciales (Montreal) (1982)
French version is available here.
Richard Epstein’s practice is concentrated in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other business relations, corporate finance and general commercial transactions. He has a broad range of experience acquired, to a great extent, in the context of cross-border transactions and has represented clients in transactions around the world. His expertise includes competition/antitrust law and foreign investment matters.
Mr. Epstein regularly represents foreign businesses located in the U.S., Europe and Asia in their ventures in Canada and local clients in their transactions abroad.
Mr. Epstein has particular experience in international joint ventures and complex business, engineering and construction projects. His industry experience is wide-ranging and includes emerging technologies, forestry products, services, food and manufactured goods.
Mr. Epstein is co-leader of the Mergers and Acquisitions strategic team at BCF. He is also a member of the firm’s Board of Directors and he chairs the Audit Committee.
"Negotiated Mergers and Acquisitions," LEXPERT, May 2008
"An Overview of the United Nations Convention on contracts for the International Sale of Goods (The Vienna Convention)
"Amendments to the Pre-Merger Notification Process" (collaboration), Competition Law Section conference paper, Canadian Bar Association
"Comparative Analysis of Legal Frameworks Pertaining to Exchange of Information and Mutual Assistance between Canada and U.S. Authorities" (collaboration), Competition Bureau (Canada)
- "Antitrust and Foreign Investment Risk", Annual Seminar for Lawyers Specializing in Securities Law, October 18, 2012.
- "Shareholders’ Agreements", RSM Richter Chamberland, June 13, 2012.
- "Trade associations and issues under the Competition Act", Association des Bannières et des Chaînes de Pharmacies du Québec (ABCPQ), February 1, 2012
- "Earnout provisions in purchase and sale agreements", (with Marc-André Bélanger), Montreal chapter of Financial Executives International, May 26, 2011.
- "Important Recent Developments in Business Law", (with Pascal de Guise, Ernst and Young, March 31, 2011.
- "Competition Law Compliance", to the sales representatives of a multinational corporation, January 12, 2011
- "Successfully Negotiating Business – Winning Strategies for Corporate Counsel"
- "Purchase and Sale Agreements"
- "An Overview of International Corporate Transaction"
- "Legal Aspects of Carrying on Business in the U.S.A."
- "International sale of Foods and Distribution Agreements"
- "Overview of the Competition Act"
- "Doing Business Abroad"